Healthy In A Hurry: Thai Basil Chicken
I have another Healthy In A Hurry recipe that you will love! It’s simple and easy and superdelicious! 🙂 A while back I was craving the Ginger Basil Chicken from Blue Koi here in Kansas City, but I thought the dish seemed simple enough that I could probably make it myself.
After a little trial and error, I didn’t come up with the same dish as Blue Koi’s, but it definitely cures the craving, and I think it’s a little healthier than the restaurant dish too!
This Thai-inspired recipe uses just a few ingredients, but each one adds a unique punch of flavor, so the whole dish comes together nicely.
Thai Basil Chicken
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 T. canola oil
1 T. minced garlic
2 T. minced fresh ginger (available in your grocer’s produce department)
1/4 tsp. hot chili flakes
2/3 cup chicken broth (skim any fat)
1 T. Asian fish sauce (also available at your grocer, usually among the soy sauce and stir fry sauces)
2 tsp. corn starch
3 cups fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
Salt to taste
1. Rinse chicken, pat dry, and cut in 1-inch cubes.
2. Warm a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add oil, garlic, ginger, chili flakes, and chicken.
3. Stir constantly until chicken is cooked, about 5 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, mix broth, fish sauce, and corn starch until smooth.
5. Add broth mixture to pan and cook until sauce is boiling (about 1 minute).
6. Add salt to taste, stir, and remove pan from heat.
7. Top with basil leaves just before serving. Stir once or twice, just until leaves are mixed in.
Per serving: 202 calories, 5.7 gm fat, 6.5 gm carbohydrates, 30 gm protein, 3.2 gm. fiber
Because this recipe contains a lot of nutrient-rich basil, you won’t need to add a vegetable. If you do want to add more greens, though, either steamed broccoli or snow peas would go well in this dish.
Thai Basil Chicken is great as a one-dish balanced meal, and it also pairs well with brown rice. Give it a try!
Download the recipe here: One Move Forward’s Healthy In A Hurry Thai Basil Chicken