Mmmm…who doesn’t love fried chicken? So many people grew up with this American favorite, but now know how unhealthy it is to eat fried foods. Good news – I have your solution! This recipe for mock fried chicken is really easy. Instead of breading the chicken and then frying it in oil, you coat the chicken with corn flakes and then bake it. I think you’ll be amazed with the results!
At the end of this article, you’ll find a link to download the recipe. Give it a try!
Mock Fried Chicken
3/4 cup coarsely crushed corn flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 to 1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1. Mix corn flakes, garlic powder, black pepper and red pepper in a medium bowl.
2. Dip chicken into broth. Coat with corn flake mixture. Place chicken on baking sheet.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until chicken is done.
Nutritional values per serving: 204 Calories, 3g Fat, 15g Carbohydrate, 28g Protein
This recipe is really quick to make. If your chicken is already defrosted, prep time is probably about 10-15 minutes at the most.
If fried chicken makes you think of summer picnics, serve this dish with corn-on-the-cob, a whole grain roll, and watermelon for dessert…and then go eat outside! 🙂
Download the recipe here: One Move Forward’s Healthy In A Hurry Mock Fried Chicken
Spring is here, and summer’s right around the corner. When it comes to cooking, that usually means more time grilling out instead of cooking inside on the stove. This recipe has become a favorite at my house. It’s really easy to make – you can get it done in 30 minutes from start to finish – and you’ll have a healthy meal on the table that everyone will enjoy.
I’ve included a link at the end of this post, so you can download the recipe and add it to your recipe collection. If your husband is anything like mine, he’ll be glad for something new to try on the grill! 🙂
1 cup broken herb-seasoned crackers
1 lb. skinless, boneless salmon fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 T. honey mustard (you can also use Dijon mustard if you prefer that flavor)
4 whole grain buns (or reduce the carbs and calories by using whole wheat bread)
sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, lettuce (or any other favorite veggie burger toppings)
1. In food processor, place crackers. Cover and process until coarsely ground. Add half of the salmon, the egg, and the mustard. Cover and process until salmon is ground and mixture is thoroughly combined. Empty mixture into a bowl.
2. Put remaining salmon in food processor. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns until salmon is coarsely chopped. Return salmon/cracker/egg mixture to processor, cover and process until fully combined.
3. With damp hands, shape mixture into four patties.
4. Grill directly on a greased grill rack over medium heat three minutes per side or until cooked through. Grill buns, cut side down, the last 1-2 minutes of grilling.
5. Serve salmon burgers on buns with veggie toppings. Makes 4 large servings.
This is another recipe that you can tweak a bit in order to work with your family’s tastes depending on which veggies they prefer. I love this burger with just avocado, lettuce, and a little mustard. It’s also really good without any bun at all. The burgers reheat really well too, so don’t worry if you have leftovers – they’ll make a great lunch for tomorrow!
If you stack enough veggies on your burger, you’ll have a complete balanced meal in this one dish. Otherwise, just add a little side salad, and you’re set. Enjoy!
Download the recipe here: One Move Forward’s Healthy In A Hurry Salmon Burgers