This Healthy In A Hurry recipe is another completely balanced meal when you serve it with whole wheat tortillas. It’s very quick and easy to make, and it has a little zing too! Prep time is literally about five minutes, and total cook time is about 10 minutes.
Most huevos rancheros recipes require you to cook in oil and use a lot of cheese. This recipe has neither, but it still has plenty of flavor.
As always, I’ve added a link at the end, so you can download the recipe and try it tonight!
Skillet-Poached Huevos Rancheros
1 16 oz. jar salsa (mild, medium or hot – depending on your preference)
1 15.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed to remove excess sodium
4 large eggs
Kosher salt and black pepepr
2 scallions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 small whole wheat tortillas, warmed
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1. In a large skillet, combine the salsa and beans and bring to a simmer.
2. Make 4 small wells in the bean mixture. One at a time, crack each egg into a small bowl and slide it gently into a well. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
3. Cook, covered, over medium heat, 3 to 5 minutes for slightly runny yolks.
4. Sprinkle with scallions and cilantro. Divide among 4 plates and serve with the tortillas and sour cream.
As always, I encourage you to change the recipe to suit your family’s tastes. If you don’t care for black beans, try red kidney or even refried beans. And although you will get plenty of vitamins from the salsa, scallions, and cilantro, you can also add other vegetables to make a heartier meal. Red peppers or even carrots add a nice flavor to this dish.
I hope you’ll try this healthy version of traditional huevos rancheros. Let me know what you think! 🙂
Download the recipe here: One Move Forward’s Healthy In A Hurry Skillet-Poached Huevos Rancheros
This week I have another quick ‘n’ easy recipe for you that is healthy and really tasty. This recipe is another balanced-meal-in-one-dish, so you don’t even have to think about any sides to serve along with it. Prep time is just 15 minutes (I promise!), and you’ll need another 30 minutes to refrigerate the sauce and let it set.
As always, I have included a link at the end of the post, so you can download the recipe.
Vegetarian Gyro Sandwich
1 (6 oz.) container plain, low-fat yogurt
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. fresh dill, chopped
Pinch salt and pepper
4 whole wheat pitas
1/2 head green leaf lettuce
1 c. alfalfa sprouts
2 large plum tomatoes, sliced
1 (8 oz.) package garlic & herb flavored crumbled feta cheese
1. To make the sauce, stir together yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon juice, dill, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. To assemble sandwiches: Wrap pita bread in damp paper towel and microwave for 20 seconds. With the pitas flat side up, evenly layer lettuce, sauce, tomato slices alfalfa sprouts, and feta down the middle of the bread. Fold up both sides.
I love this sandwich – it’s a great break from meat and seafood, but still contains plenty of protein. And, it will really come in handy as we move into warmer days and don’t feel like cooking over a hot stove or warming the oven! I hope you give it a try – let me know what you think!
Download the recipe here: One Move Forward’s Healthy In A Hurry Vegetarian Gyro Sandwich